Merriam Webster says: Memorial (noun) 1: something that keeps remembrance alive
Monument (noun) 3 a (1): a lasting evidence, reminder, or example of someone or something notable or great (2): a distinguished person b: a memorial stone or a building erected in remembrance of a person or event
I still am not sure of the difference, but I'm glad my understanding was expanded. Oh, and a monument in the US is made by presidential decree and a memorial by congress. With that said here is our day at the Monuments and Memorials, and no we did not see them all!
Washington Monument in honor of President George Washington:

Pictures from the World War 2 Memorial:
While at this memorial I met a lovely woman and her father, the father being a World War 2 Veteran. He was in a wheelchair and she was taking him around to the different parts of it. I spoke with her for few minutes and she voiced her delight in being able to bring her father to this meaningful place. When I expressed to him my gratitude for serving our country he simply lowered his eyes, shook his head and said (pointing to a part of the memorial that honors the dead), "They are the real heroes."



Next photo by P.Carson, age 6:

Looking back towards the washington monument:

The gang:

The gang with me included!

Next we walked through some lovely woods to the Vietnam memorial. I did not take any pictures of it this day, just absorbed it all. This one had meaning to me, as my parents have friends that served and died in this war.
Photo by T. Carson, age 11:

Next post will be the Lincoln memorial, Washington Monument and the rest of this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment