Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Not-to-do list

There is a great article in the newest Real Simple magazine called "What's on your not-to-do list for 2009?" It made me smile, because I love list making! This one is the anti-list, or anti-New Year's Resolution list. I can fall easily into the trap of being over-listed, and overly task oriented. Classic example took place last week as we were Christmas shopping with all the kids; I, with my list, barely looked up to see the smiles on my kids faces, or the cool things they were pointing out to me. About 1/2 way through I reminded myself to live in the moment - so I did! Yes, I still got the stuff on my list, but I looked up from it to enjoy the view and accomplish the more important part of the day - the experience of being with my family.

The women who answered the question had some great ideas, things that made me smile and laugh and think! Here is my not-to-do list for 2009, some serious...some not so much:

5. I will not eat blood sausage or blood pudding, despite any peer pressure otherwise.

4. I will not be afraid of left turns.

3. I will not do my homework during the busy family time of day.

2. I will not eat the same thing for breakfast everyday.

1. I will not speak before pausing to breath, think, or chill!


What is on your list of not-to-do this year? Whatever it is, I hope your New Year is great, full of promise and optimism. Some may say this year is started off in crisis and bad things, but we already knew it would get harder in this world, not easier. I say this New Year is started off with a lot of potential for good and opportunity to serve and grow!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I don't get is how someone so positive as you got to be such good friends with cynical me. It's mystifying, really.

As usual, you inspire me to be a better person.

Wendy
(By the way, we're having blood pudding after church on Sunday; would you like to come over and have some?)

stephanie said...

Interesting random list, but I enjoyed reading it. What is the reason to make a not-to do list?
I think I'll try one.

Tami said...

Okay Wendy, you are the queen of optimism - and always a great example to me of that! That said, thanks.
And No thank you to the blood pudding! :-)

Tami said...

Stephi, what it did for me is to remind me not to take setting goals for myself, or myself to seriuosly. And it was fun to think the opposite, instead of I will do...it's I won't do! Hmmm, maybe I should have put on there I will not listen to kids when they whine, or I will not be available for parenting after 10pm....ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I'm just wondering if I'm invited to Wendy's for blood pudding on Sunday. What are you vampires?

Tami said...

No, not vampires. It goes back to a discussion I had with my family over vacation. Mark had blood pudding in Scotland, before he knew exactly what it was. Katie has tried blood sausage at Mutual, and I said I would never try either...even if the rest of the group was! Besides, it sounded nice and random.

Anonymous said...

I will not, definitely not, absolutely not be crashing your blood pudding party, Wendy.

(But secretly, I would if I could!)

And I will not, um... hm... write something really witty that will make you all smile. :) Sucks.

Happy New Year, Tami!

Rachael said...

Chris once described blood sausages to me... it sounds foul, and I'll trust his opinion on them myself.

Awesome list, though. I'm going to add to my 'no comparing' plan to not miss out on opportunities with my son.