My friend Emily is new inductee into the Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society of the Two Year Colleges (for those who have not yet memorized all the college groups). I'm so proud of her! Last night I got to attend her induction ceremony (not at all related to being induced by the way), which she so graciously invited me to. She receieved this opportunity because of her acedemic excellence. If you don't know Emily and her life, you would probably just think that's a pretty cool thing and that she's smart. However, not only is she smart, but she's maintaining those excellent grades while she is a single mom of two girls, holds 2 callings, runs a business with her mom and gives generously of her time to everyone she knows. Emily is the person you can call when you need help or resources to get help, she knows a lot of people and what they are involved in because she is willing to reach out and make those connections.
With all of that in mind, having acedemic excellence is no casual thing. I admire her for her strength and ability, her generosity and love for others. I also admire that she's willing to drag my sorry self along to class and wait for me to catch up when we're working on math together!
So here's to Emily and all she's accomplishing in her life. She is following the prophet's counsel to get her education and she's doing while making a difference in the lives of others.
Warning to Emily, I am adding a picture of you here so don't get mad at me. I'm blessed to have you as a friend!
3 comments:
Wonderful post! And all true Emily is truly inspiring!!
Oh, Tami, you are such a stinker! And I love you for it! I'm working on not putting myself down...and it's really hard just to accept your comments without trying to say something negative about myself...so I won't. Thanks for brightening my day. A couple of comments...I really thank you for taking math with me and helping me out when I don't understand...and just for the record...I have 3 callings.
Yay, Emily!
Post a Comment